Look what's happening on Milwaukee's lakefront!
In the heart of Veterans Park, at the south end of the McKinley Marina, the excitement is building. After many years of dreaming and planning, our new Administration Building was completed in 2010, providing two new classrooms and a community room.
Interesting facts about the new building:
- There are more than 100 on-site construction workers involved in building this structure
- There were more than 30 contracting firms, with more than 40 suppliers of raw and finished materials, on site
- The building design requires 4,800 lineal feet of structural steel and 506 tons of concrete
- The geothermal system has with 14 wells bored 300 feet into the earth to provide heating and cooling to the entire building, all of which are controlled in zones
- The domed roof gathers water into a rain garden to avoid adding storm water run off into the municipal sewer system
MCSC has committed to a ten year campus and fleet capital improvement plan, with specific items targeted for each year. There are plans underway for a new entry way to lead to the new building. In summer 2013 we plan to upgrade our dock house to make checking a boat out for open sailing as easy as possible. Eventually the maintenance facility will be expanded so boats can be repaired and reconditioned and back into the water sooner.
Capital improvements to our fleet include acquiring two more 420's to
our fleet for youth instruction and adult centerboard classes, as well
as an annual commitment to refurbishing the fleet with special effort
made to maintain the ensigns.
In conjunction with our long term plan for a more functional campus area, the fleet will be strategically expanded to offer a wider variety of sailing options for our members. We welcome your ideas and suggestions, as well as your financial support.
Make or Pledge Your Donation Today!
Milwaukee Community Sailing Center
1450 North Lincoln Memorial Drive
Milwaukee, WI 53202