Youth Sailing Instruction
Join MCSC’s Youth Sailing Program and sail Lake Michigan. Even if you’ve never sailed before‚ you can learn. The Youth Membership fee is just $100 and allows you to register for sailing courses.
Things to know about MCSC Youth Courses
• Youth Course Fee (Level 1 – 3) is $85 plus Youth Membership annual fee of $100.
• Classes run Monday through Thursday for two weeks.
• Students will receive a confirmation letter with additional course information upon enrollment.
• Parent or Guardian permission is required along with a completed medical form.
• Class sizes are a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 18.
• Students must have a certified swim-check of 75 yards on file before being able to participate.
The Milwaukee Community Sailing Center reaches out to youth through numerous sailing programs. Our goal is to bring youth from all areas of the community and from all income levels to the Sailing Center to introduce them to sailing. After just their first sail on the water‚ children clearly start to become empowered. They begin to realize that they can steer not only a boat - but also their own lives and the choices they make as well. This program develops leadership skills such as self-confidence‚ teamwork‚ problem solving‚ decision-making‚ critical thinking and situational awareness.
Our youth program incorporates a hands-on approach to the basics of sailing and water safety. Students learn boat handling‚ sail theory‚ rules of the road and they learn and practice crew overboard-maneuvering skills along with capsize recovery skills.
Scholarships are available that afford youngsters without means the ability to participate in this structured hands-on program through our "MAST" (Milwaukee Area Sailing Teens) program. After you’ve earned a rating‚ you can participate in Open Sailing with classmates or family members and guests over the age of 18.